Here’s a great article by Cam Beck dissecting the origin of the Marines’ familiar all-purpose exclamation. The best part of the article:
To further demonstrate the indefatigable utility of OO-RAH, I’ve compiled a top 10 list of possible meanings:
- I am a Marine.
- I enthusiastically accept your message.
- I am excited to be here.
- Pleased to make your acquaintance.
- What you ask of me, not only will I do, I will do in a manner befitting a Marine.
- I expect good things out of you.
- Good job.
- I am not supposed to be motivated about performing this task, but I will force myself to express excitement for the benefit of my fellow Marines and to tactfully annoy my superiors who gave me the task.
- I love being a Marine.
- I am about to destroy something.