So, the mercury posse came back today with a Lumex, a mysterious device whose noise level is only exceeded by its cost. It’s basically a portable mass spectrometer that can be used to measure extremely low levels of mercury. The State of Ohio standard is less than 1 µg/m3. In the breathing zone, our levels were lower than that, but inside the affected cabinet and on the floor beneath, we were around 1.4µg/m3.. So, according to the health department, we’re still contaminated. Time to call State Farm and give them the good news: at minimum, we need to replace the affected cabinet (which of course means we’ll probably have to replace the others, since matching a 12-year-old cabinet set is unlikely) and the contaminated section of floor. Since the floor is 12-year-old sheet linoleum, it’s probably going to have to be replaced too. What the hey, let’s remodel the kitchen.