- “A Russian City Always on the Watch Against Being Sucked Into the Earth“: um, OK. “We will fight the holes with science,” says the mayor.
- “Delta Air passengers unexposed to rabies from bat on board“: it’s not very nice of them to call the former Northwest flight attendants bats… wait, what? (Actually, Delta has only recently started staffing flights with mixed cabin crews of former Delta and former Northwest flight attendants.)
- R.I.P. Eugene Polley, inventor of the wireless television remote.
- I subscribe to American Airlines’ list of last-minute “saver” fairs. Every week, without fail, I get an e-mail from them telling me that there are no such fares out of San Jose. You’d think I would have smartened up and cancelled my subscription by now.
- Did you know that GPS satellites also carry sensor packages intended to detect nuclear explosions? Neither did I.
- I enjoyed this two-part article about the role of science (and scientists) in The Avengers.
- A fantastic new programming language: Objectivist-C.